Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bookin' it - February

It's time to report again.  I hated book reports in school, but now I know they keep me on track. :)  I'm linking up my report to http://www.lifeasmom.com/

This month I read The Happiness Project (assigned), Desiring God Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper (this is from my blogging for books projects) and then The Inn at Angel Island by Thomas Kinkaide and Katherine Spencer (for fun). I also got to read a kid's book for my blogging for books called God Loves Me More Than That by Dandi Daley Mackall

The Happiness Project was a lot of fun for me.  I didn't know whether or not I would enjoy it when I started it, but I loved the way she wrote.  Gretchen is a woman I would love to meet. :)  She got me on an anti clutter kick, and made me think about the way I treat other people, and also why we treat them that way.  If you want an uplifting non fiction book this is the one for you. 

Desiring God was a lot more difficult for me, but I think that reading it in conjunction with the Happiness Project was "God Ordained"  Piper's writing gave me a Christian framework for what Rubin had to say in the Happiness Project.  You can read more about what I thought about Desiring God here.

The Inn at Angel Island was wonderful!  I didn't know Kinkaide wrote books until my brother gave me some of his books.  I thought the writing was good, the story amusing, while still thoughtful and overall well thought out. 

Finally God Loves Me More Than That, was amazing.  My Daughter loved it.  You can read more about that one here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm visiting from Life As Mom's Booking It 2011! I really enjoyed The Happiness Project as well. I'm thinking of reading through the book again and making specific resolutions for myself that correspond with each chapter.

    Wow - is that the same Thomas Kinkaide that paints the beautiful pictures? If so, I didn't know he wrote books as well.

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize Kinkaide wrote either, interesting. I too enjoyed the Happiness Project. I find myself thinking a lot of about her different concepts and read the book back in December.

    ReplyDelete