Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review - Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper

John Piper’s book can be summed up in one sentence. You should strive to find joy and happiness in God. I loved the point of the book. I loved that he went a little bit more in depth when looking at stories where people were suffering to show that ultimately they were striving to find happiness and that God not only honors that, but desires that too. Psalms 37:4 says “Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.” For me that was the whole crux of the matter.
With all of that being said, I did not love this book. I did love the idea of the book, but I found it to be too long and in depth to hold my attention for long. I didn’t need all the extras, and even found it to be tiresome to come upon the defense of the term Christian Hedonism again and again. I did not need the term defended, I don’t love the term, but understood Piper’s reference the first time he explained it. I think it would be a great study resource, but for me there was too much minutia to dig through. I would recommend the book to people who love to study and cross reference, but if you are looking for light reading this is not the book for you.

You can find this book here or here

Thanks to WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for providing a free copy of this book for me to review. My Opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment