Monday, April 15, 2013

One Glorious Ambition (book review)


This book is a fictionalized account of the life of Dorthea Dix. That I think is what I didn't like about this book. I enjoy biographies and I enjoy historical fiction, but this was an interesting mix. The author had to follow Dorthea's life with little room for deviation, and just got to fill in details about conversations and such with what might have happened in her everyday life. That means that classic story telling and story movement can't be used, and Dorthea Dix's life was often sad, it made for a story that dragged in many points. This fictionalized version of her life also means that if you are reading for detail you may not be able to tell what the author added, and what is know for sure. If you are a Dorthea Dix fan or you want to know more about how she changed how we treat mental patients, you may enjoy this book,  otherwise I'm not sure I would recommend it. 

I received a copy of this book to review, my opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment