Monday, January 7, 2013

Pantry Challenge - 2013

Around here the pantry challenge isn't a challenge to completely stay out of the store, but to make good use of what we have on hand. This week we used up a frozen chick roast we had gotten on sale (pot roast), a Boston butt (pork sandwiches), made fettuccine Alfredo (what?  I had left over whipping cream.).spaghetti and a night with friends. I did go to the store for milk, cheese, fruit, and veggies. I only spent $30 and I typically budget for $50 (although this number may have to grow. My preschooler can now pack down as much as I can.). So far so good - I do see some odds and ends on the shelf that will take some creativity. I found a random marinade (Hawaiian) and some cans of pineapple - maybe those can work together. An envelope of pesto (and I have never made pesto that way, so I'm not sure how that got there) perhaps can be used w chicken and pasta. A jar of BBQ sauce (BBQ chicken anyone?) and water chestnuts (which apparently I am the only one who likes those) what do you do with water chestnuts??
Good luck to all you other pantry challengers!  Check out http://Goodcheapeats.com for motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment